Pages



Sunday, June 25, 2017

Summer To-Do's

Summer always seems to come and go in the blink of an eye.  In April, I start getting the summer itch and start having all of these big ideas...thinking it is going to be THE BEST SUMMER EVER!  And summer rarely ever disappoints, but I always feel like I only get half of what I want accomplished.  I am writing out a checklist of fun summer activities that I hope to get crossed off for this year!  I am such a list-maker and love crossing things off.  Here are a few things on my summer bucket list:

1) Picnic on the Beach

Aside from the three hours it takes to pack up all of our stuff and actually get to the beach...a picnic just adds a little something extra to the whole experience. Extra work, extra things to carry, extra whiny children because you didn't pack candy.  Needless to say, I love having picnics once in a while.   

2) Root Beer Floats on the Deck

We bought an ice cream maker last summer (Tate's idea).  Now, before I start in on my wifely duties and start bitching about how we have used it zero times so far, I will say that homemade ice cream in root beer floats screams Summer to me.  I can't wait to make some!

3) Dine Al-Fresco

There is nothing more relaxing than the smell of Citronella while you are eating with bugs flying everywhere.  Seriously nothing.  Name something more relaxing--I'll wait.  Aside from those two things, I actually do enjoy eating outside.  Plus it breaks up the daily routine.

4) Stand-Up Paddle Boarding

I am enrolling my sister to come with me for pure entertainment value.  She is an outdoorsy person in that she enjoys drinking Pino on patios--that's about it.  So taking her out on a lake should be fun.  Honestly though, this would be a great activity to bond with your spouse, parent, or bestie!  

5) Family Fishing Adventure

We have taken the girls fishing a couple of times and they love it.  My dad always took us when we were younger and it is one of my fondest childhood memories.  He would always take a 6-er of Milwaukee's Best and tell us to quit talking.  Memories.  There is something so peaceful about waiting for the next big catch and I love seeing the excitement on the girls' faces when we do catch one. 

6) Attend an Outdoor Concert

Who doesn't love outdoor music?  I love local cover bands.  We actually got to watch a band perform last night and Libby loved shaking her groove thang.  Daphne likes to run away so I don't actually get to enjoy listening to the music.  :)

7) Tour a Brewery or Winery

I have never toured a brewery and would love to do that for a date night!  I enjoy trying new things and there are some really good new breweries in our area.  

8) Bake a Fresh Peach Pie

I love all of the fruit that comes in season during the summer.  White peaches are my fave.  I love eating them by themselves or with some yogurt.  But pie is my favorite dessert and something about a peach pie has me drooling right now--probably the carbs and sugar.

Hopefully we get a few of those checked off the list, especially #8.  I'm sorry if my negativity about the first three options talked you out of doing those.  I haven't had enough coffee this morning to be positive yet. :)



It was so funny watching the girls play in this little pool.  They both barely fit!  It made me a little sad because they both fit in it fine last year.  Tate went to our local store to pick up a bigger pool for the girls.  He was dressed in his EMS uniform and inquired about the price of one outside.  The clerk went out to look with him and when he came back into pay, a lady had already paid for it and said it was a thank you for serving the community.  That really warmed my heart!


Libby is at the tender age of 3, almost 4.  Anyone who has or knows a child this age knows they will not shut up love to talk. Tate and I are horrible parents and lay with our children until they fall asleep.  *NEW PARENTS: DO NOT GET IN THIS HABIT. I REPEAT, DO NOT GET IN THIS HABIT.*  But I also enjoy this time because we get to talk about their day and spend one more hour together.  Once in a while, Libby will sweetly whisper "Can you sing to me mama?"  The other night, she had this request.  I had a flashback to my childhood of my mother singing "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof.  I was always exposed to a variety of music growing up, and I want to make sure I do this to my children as well.  I didn't want to be #basic and sing "Twinkle, Twinkle."  So, I started singing "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by Creedence Clearwater Revival.  I got the words Someone told me long ago....in before Libby interrupted and said, "Can you just sing Shake It Off?"  *So much for that whole exposing them to the classics garb*.






Daphne is just the opposite at bedtime.  If I start singing to her, she yells "STOP! STOP IT MAMA!"  Then she slaps me across the face.  I honestly don't know where I went wrong with that one. :)    But I've got to admit, I love her fire and sass...reminds me of someone I know. ;)



We are loving summer so far.  Our local pool in town is pretty awesome, but if we don't feel like doing the whole get ready for 40 minutes and stay at the pool for 20 minutes thing, our little pool in the back yard is a great substitute!  Plus, it gives me a chance to catch up on yard work and my flower beds. Don't even call me an old lady.  Don't even!!  Hope you all are getting in plenty of pool time!  I feel like I need a token slogan to end all of my blog posts with.  Bob Barker had the whole spayed or neutered thing and Ice Cube has Bye, Felicia.  Mr. Rogers always said something weird in a calming voice.  I have nothing.


Also, Daphne's double-chin,chocolate-covered face and top-knot FOREVER!  Happy Sunday, everyone!


1 comment :

  1. Um...Daph looks like Libby in the last pic...and I never think that. Also, if Sarah doesn't commit to SUP with you...I also provide decent entertainment value..just ask Leah;) I also enjoy a slice of fresh peach pie....just sayin.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright © Chasing The Christensens